Create Your Own Study Away Experience!
If you have a university, study abroad provider, or placement in mind that UAF isn't affiliated with, you can set up your own independent program for a totally unique experience!
Typically, a university must accept 'free mover' students in order to study without a prior agreement in place. Students who apply as independent students at a host university must pay all tuition and fees as charged by that host university. Fees to UAF include a one-time $50 application fee and a $500 study away fee each semester you are away.
If you are interested in studying at a university we have no formal partnership with through either exchange or a study abroad provider, please apply to the 'Independent Program' application. In addition to the regular application process, you must also submit the following:
- Proposed dates and terms of attendance.
- A memorandum of approval of the academic department(s) within which you are requesting UAF credit. This memo must be issued by a faculty advisor and confirm that coursework has been reviewed and approved for UAF credit.
- Written documentation from the institution that an official transcript will be issued upon completion of your program and that the transcript will be sent directly to the UAF Office of International Programs (we cannot accept transcripts issued directly to students).
- Documentation confirming the institutional contact and/or advisor (including in cases of emergency).
- Documentation outlining accommodation options.