Skip to content

Create Your Own Study Away Experience!

Independent Program / Direct Enrollment

If you have a university, study abroad provider, or placement in mind that UAF isn't affiliated with, you can set up your own independent program for a totally unique experience!

Typically, a university must accept 'free mover' students in order to study without a prior agreement in place. Students who apply as independent students at a host university must pay all tuition and fees as charged by that host university. Fees to UAF include a one-time $50 application fee and a $500 study away fee each semester you are away.

If you are interested in studying at a university we have no formal partnership with through either exchange or a study abroad provider, please apply to the 'Independent Program' application. In addition to the regular application process, you must also submit the following:

  1. Proposed dates and terms of attendance.
  2. All proposed courses must be pre-approved and have signatures from the appropriate credit-granting department. You must have the department complete appropriate Advising Agreements (AESA Advising Agreement for Exchange or Study Abroad Students.pdf) and submit a memorandum of approval.  This memo must be issued by a faculty advisor and confirm that coursework has been reviewed and approved for UAF credit.
  3. Written documentation from the host institution that an official transcript will be issued upon completion of your program and that the transcript will be sent directly to the UAF International Programs & Initiatives office (we cannot accept transcripts issued directly to students).
  4. Documentation confirming the institutional contact and/or advisor at the host institution (including in cases of emergency).
  5. Documentation outlining your intended plan for accommodation options (whether that be on- or off-campus).