Japan Exchange Degree Requirement
If you’re a Japanese Studies major or minor, or just interested in Japanese language and culture, a semester or more in Japan will help you deepen your knowledge and appreciation for all things Japanese.
UAF’s exchange and study abroad programs in Japan are:
Akita International University (Study Abroad program with KEI Abroad)
Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP)
Japanese Language and Culture Studies (JLCS)
Hokkaido University of Education (HUE)
Nagoya Gakuin University (NGU)
Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture
Osaka Gakuin University (OGU)
All students going on exchange or study abroad from UAF must fulfill the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 2 full-time semesters or 29 credits before your first semester abroad.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
In addition, to fulfill the Japanese Studies international requirement, Japanese Studies majors must also have:
- Completed at least JPN 202 or its equivalent prior to departure, and
- A minimum of a B-average (3.0) in Japanese language courses, and
- The recommendation of Japanese language faculty.
|Program||Minimum previous Japanese language study
(or equivalent) required
|Fulfills Japanese Studies international requirement||Content courses taught in English||Housing||IPI application deadline for the following fall semester||Tuition Paid to|
|AIU (KEI)||None||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||1 March||KEI|
|DEEP||JPN 202||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||1 December||UAF|
Although cost of living will depend on many factors including size and accessibility of your city of residence and your personal tastes and habits, you should expect to spend an average of at least ¥80,000 per month. Typical monthly fees include:
- Rent (¥10,000 - ¥60,000)
- Utilities (¥5,000 - ¥10,000)
- Food (¥20,000 - ¥30,000)
- Health Insurance (¥2,000)
- Internet (¥4,000 - ¥10,000)
- Commuting Fees (¥5,000 - ¥10,000)
- Miscellaneous (¥10,000 - ¥20,000)
Other fees include:
- Class fees
- Health Insurance
- Travel to Anchorage for Visa appointment
- Travel to Japan
When you apply to a Japanese exchange university, you will be asked to provide evidence of adequate financial support of at least ¥50,000 per month for the entire time you will be abroad. While working is possible under a student visa, restrictions apply, and these future earnings may not be used as part of your evidence of adequate financial support.
Please contact your Japanese Studies advisor, a Japanese language faculty member, or the Exchange and Study Abroad Advisor for questions.