Skip to content

Academic Training Extensions

As an international student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks in J-1 visa status, you are eligible for academic training following your academic program at UAF under the following circumstances:
  • The academic training may be a job, internship, research, or other practical experience, and may be paid or unpaid.
  • The academic training must be related to your field of study.
  • The academic training must begin no later than 30 days after the end of your academic program.
  • The duration of the academic training cannot exceed the total duration of your academic program.
If the academic training is a paid position, you will also need to seek work authorization from the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, and apply for a U.S. Social Security number, if you do not already have one.

You will work with an academic training supervisor to establish goals and objectives of the academic training, who will also need to submit to us an evaluation of its effectiveness and appropriateness, which will be due at the end of the training period. If you are offered academic training, you must seek authorization from ISSS. You will need to submit a written letter of offer (the requirements are outlined in the attached letter to potential supervisors).

When your academic training authorization is complete, ISSS will issue some new documents, including a new DS-2019, granting you authorization and an extension of your J-1 visa status, if applicable. If your position is a paid one and you do not already have a U.S. Social Security number, you may not begin employment or training for the position until you have applied for one.

Deadlines to notify ISSS of intent to extend for academic training:

Summer extension: March 1 (paperwork due April 1)
Fall extension: March 1 (paperwork due April 1)
Spring extension: October 1 (paperwork due November 1)

Contact ISSS for details on extension for academic training.