Skip to content

Employment as an International Student

Dear Student:
As an international student at the University of Alaska Fairbanks in J-1 visa status for one or two semesters, you are eligible for employment during the semester(s) you study at UAF under the following circumstances:
  • You may work in any field, but it must be a student job at UAF.
  • You must remain enrolled full-time at UAF during each semester you are studying at UAF.
  • While classes are in session, you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week, with no exceptions.
  • While classes are not in session, such as between the fall and spring semesters, you may work full-time.
  • Your employment may not extend beyond the last day of the semester during which you are studying at UAF (for example, if you are at UAF only for the fall semester, employment may not continue beyond the last day of that fall semester).
To search for a student job, please visit, and follow the instructions to apply. UAF Career Services can help you with your resume, cover letter, interview skills, and more (110 Eielson Building, 907-474-7596,
If you are offered a job, our office must authorize your employment. To request authorization, you will need to ask your employer for a written letter of offer, and complete the paperwork online. Download the instructions here: How to Complete Authorization Paperwork Online.pdf

Start the online paperwork by clicking here:

  1. You will select option 1 (you are a UAF Student)
  2. Enter your UA username and password (the same credentials as you use for UAOnline and your UAF email account
  3. Click "Start Paperwork"
  4. Start completing the required documents. You can log out and return to the materials at a later time. To login to the system again, click "STUDENT LOGIN" from the menu at the top of this website.
  5. Bring a copy of the letter of offer to you from your supervisor. Download the Letter to Potential On-Campus Employer.pdf. Provide this letter to your supervisor so that they know what is required for the offer letter they give to you.

When your employment authorization request is complete, our office will issue some new documents, including a new DS-2019, granting you authorization to work. This will make you eligible to apply for a US Social Security Number, if you do not already have one. You may not begin employment or training for the position until you have applied for a Social Security Number.